Wednesday 2 December 2015

My brain used to go fuzzy. Now it doesn't.


When I followed standard medical protocols for diabetes, my brain used to get the fuzzies at a much higher blood sugar. I still get the physical symptoms when my blood sugar is low, but not the cerebral dysfunction.
Half an hour ago, my glucometer read 1.8 (32mg/dl). Without eating, I then defeated my chess program Fritz (V8, error level 1.0/10, lightning) several times, before re-checking my bsl on my spare glucometer.


Why does this matter?
Doctors refuse to even entertain the possibility that the treatment they are prescribing affects the level at which patients experience cerebral dysfunction. Of course there is no evidence from clinical trials of harm from standard treatment because doctors refuse to collect that evidence, and no one else has access to the data.
If your brain goes woozy at a bsl of 3.5 (63 for the non SI), don't accept that as normal for diabetics, or assume that it will always be the case. Do something about it.

You don't have to believe me. Look for yourself at the non-existent peer-reviewed medical evidence base on this topic. Doctors just pretend to be knowledgeable on the topic.

note : looking at local chess club results, I figure 99.5% of the adult population can't play chess at this level, even with a normal blood sugar.