Saturday 16 January 2016

Anaesthesia News - At Least Six Patient Deaths from central lines - all avoidable



From the latest College of Anaesthetists bulletin

"Last year Incident Information Management System NSW were notified of six patient deaths from central line related air embolus. However, the actual number of deaths is likely to be greater than this due to under reporting from lack of awareness. All cases were avoidable." 

Outrageous. And it's not like it is a difficult problem to avoid.

What has this got to do with Addison's disease, apart from the fact that Addison's patients would like to think that their doctors are at least a little bit competent?  Everything!

Look at the video I shot while lying flat in bed. It shows a pulsating vein in my forearm, just below the elbow which is also resting on the bed. I am breathing quietly. My BP is normal.

Why was I concerned?

What did I do about it?

If you had Addison's and went to your doctor complaining of feeling tired, are you confident that they would diagnose and treat the problem correctly?

Answers to the first 2 of these 3 questions at the end of next month.


VVS again