Tuesday 1 March 2016

Medical body suggests patient with Addison's disease should NOT be taking steroids. Yes, some doctors really are that stupid.

The other day I received a phone call from AHPRA threatening me with various dire consequences if I did not forward evidence that I had been prescribed steroids. The clear implication was that I should not be taking them.
AHPRA knows full well that I have Addison's disease. I have documentary evidence of that, and I reminded them again during that phone call.
But they were insistent. They did not believe that I had a valid reason for taking steroids and requested evidence that my endocrinologist had prescribed them for me.
WTF?
Addison's and other forms of adrenal insufficiency are not that rare, yet there is an appalling level of ignorance about it among senior doctors.